Saturday, November 20, 2010

Dinner for 150

There were 150 for dinner, with a waitlist of another 50 we were told.  We were all seated at different tables so we could spread Canadian goodwill to more people.  Sporadically, between good behaviour, we were egged on by  new Australian friends to do things like, imitate a Kookaburra.  This request was only for Canadians, and Aletta did a brilliant job for which she was rewarded by thunderous applause.

Hans had bought a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc but as we were at different tables, I got the bottle and it was good.  Soon, I giggled at every story told and radiated uncritical affection in all directions. 

Then they asked if one of the Canadians would do an impression of a koala.  I'd like to pretend it was my own idea, but I was encouraged by the bottle and the men on either side of me who said, "Just go up and hug the pole.  Go on.  Go on!"  So I did.  In my haste to get there I even lost a shoe, but evidently that didn't detract at all from my koala imitation.  Luckily, the pole was very thick, not skinny.

Sorry, you'll have to imagine it.



This was our presentation evening in Port Macquarie and all the Rotary Clubs had come together to see the Canadians.  Or more likely, to enjoy an evening of fellowshp with each other and we were just the catalyst.

I giggled at every story told and radiated uncritical affection in all directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment